Healthy eating is all a question of balance – enjoying a variety of delicious foods, so you get all the key nutrients you need, while eating these in the right amounts to match how active you are each day. Healthy eating doesn’t mean avoiding your favourite foods; it’s about striking a healthy balance. If you choose treats at one meal or snack then look for healthier choices at the next.
And eating healthily needn’t be difficult, expensive or tasteless. In fact just 8 simple steps can get you on the way to a healthy balanced diet:
1) Base your meals on starchy foods such as breakfast cereals, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes or sweet potatoes. Choose wholegrain/wholemeal varieties where possible.
2) Eat lots of fruit and vegetables.
3) Eat more fish, and try to include oily fish at least once each week.
4) Cut down on saturated fat and sugar.
5) Try to eat less salt – no more than 6g per day (about one teaspoon) for the average adult.
6) Get active and try to maintain a healthy weight.
7) Drink plenty of water and other fluids.
8) Don’t skip breakfast.
To learn more about healthy eating, follow the below links:
British Nutrition Foundation